This year is different from any of the past two years I've gone to Dayton. The first year I went to Dayton, I wanted a simple HF rig and knew my budget only supported something like a Radio Shack HTX-100. I bought two for $45. I also bought a power supply for it (an Astron RS-12).
Last year, I was looking for an LDG tuner for my IC-706. Found one for $85. I'm not even sure I bought anything else.
This year, my tastes are hopefully smaller.
- A nice straight key... for a damn good price
- The ARRL CW book that just came out... if it is a damn good price
- Some air variable caps... I could use some smaller ones as well as some matching pairs for matching antennas
- Maybe some tubes (for both a linear and potentially for a guitar amp for my brother-in-law)
- Probably some other parts
Dayton's Friday through Sunday, and this blog post wouldn't be complete without a list of what will be in my bag.
- An umbrella (maybe my raincoat)
- A small notepad and pen
- A small bag of snacks (last year, it was goldfish crackers)
- My HT and headset
- A backup battery for my phone
- A bottle of water (disposable)
- A towel (small)
Things I know I will buy:
- A beer 🙂
Things I know I will get:
- Another Dayton Pin
- A Yaesu hat (if they have them)
Things to keep in the Truck
- A bath towel... rain is expected!
- A small cooler with ice and a few bottles of water
Last year, there was a guy from Linux in the Hamshack. If he's there again, I may give them a donation since they did direct some traffic to my website (and that was totally unsolicited). I listen to their show far too seldom, and it is an interesting show.
Last year, I tried to make it a point to make it to some of the forums. This year I might, but probably not as much - I tried to attend the microcontrollers forum last year, there were no seats available in the oven... er, room... when I got there.