This still feels like yesterday's repair, even though it was tonight when I did all this.

Since I had the final module out from yesterday, I hooked power to it to test.  I first tried the driver, and it didn't trip the circuit breaker.  Then I tried the high power amp and it tripped the circuit breaker immediately.  Fearing the worst, I embarked on the long process of removing the finals (which was not fun because of how they were stuffed in there.

Finals

Finals in their copper case. Getting the heatsink off wasn't too difficult, but getting the circuit board out of the copper was a pain.

Finals

After a lot of work with a heatgun and soldering iron and wick and a bulb, I got this out.

Final PA Transistors

These are the finals after being removed.

So after removing these, I put them on an octopus tester, and tested them.  The results are interesting.  It also says that one or both of them is likely bad.  These things aren't cheap, but with how much of a pain it is to remove them, the smart thing would be to replace both, since one went, the other is likely not far behind.

2013-08-18 22.55.28

Note: the upper-left and middle-right are nowhere near the same:

Oscilloscope Image

Upper Left

Oscilloscope Image

Middle right

Next up: replacing the transistors and powering the unit back on!

-73-


Category: Equipment

About the Author

Andrew is the owner of this blog and enjoys computer programming, building things, and photography. He's a pretty busy guy, which explains why updates to this blog are so infrequent.

Comments are closed.

http://www.ke8p.us/feed/ http://twitter.com/ke8p

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.



%d bloggers like this:

This is the new server